Monday, April 24, 2017

What We Ate Last Week - April 2017 Week 3

Hey-a friends!

Just another week here at the Gunnell house.  Calvin has been enjoying the spoils of Easter with a little candy after almost every lunch and dinner (I'm not above a little bribery to get him to try "thank you bites" of what I make for dinner...).  We've also been watching a lot of Moana...  It's pretty cute to hear Cal walking around the house singing "you're welcome, you're welcome". ๐Ÿ˜  Brent only has 6 weeks of classes left and then it's off to an internship or a job.  We're still waiting to hear about the Lacey/Olympia job opening back up, but until then he's continuing to apply for jobs back East and in the MIdwest.

We ate some pretty tasty things this week - I highly recommend the Thai Beef Bowls and the Apricot Balsamic Chicken if you're looking to try something new!  Here's the rest of the menu - enjoy!

Monday 4/17
Breakfast:  Avocado Toast and Fruit
Lunch:  Leftovers
Dinner:  Fruit, Salad, Broccoli Bacon Mac & Cheese - This was pretty tasty.  I never really measure cheese out for recipes, so I'm fairly certain I used more than it called for.  Not a problem here though - we like cheese. ๐Ÿ˜ My finished product looked a lot more brown than the pictures in the recipe, so it didn't look amazing...but it tasted good!  We served peas on the side and both ended up mixing them in, so next time I'll probably just add peas into the recipe.

Tuesday 4/18
Breakfast:  Fruit, Yogurt, Pumpkin Pecan Baked Steel Cut Oats - I know a lot of people view pumpkin as a fall only thing, but I love pumpkin all year round!๐Ÿ˜  This recipe is super yummy and is freezes and reheats well.
Lunch:  Salad, Leftovers
Dinner:  Fruit, Salad, Leftovers

Wednesday 4/19
Breakfast:  Frittata and Fruit
Lunch:  Fruit, Thai Beef Bowls - holy yum, Batman!  This was really good.  I think it could use a little more peanut butter in the sauce (and the sauce is a little spicy), but other than that I think it's fine as is.  I used cilantro and basil for my fresh herbs.
Dinner:  Salad, Apricot Balsamic Chicken - This was tasty too!  I used spinach instead of arugula, since we prefer spinach.  I think next time I would use brown rice instead of couscous.  I don't feel like I'd be missing out on anything flavor wise and the texture of couscous is just annoying.  It's so small and it falls of your fork and gets all over the table and your lap and...yeah....brown rice it is, lol.

Thursday 4/20
Breakfast:  Fruit, Yogurt, Oatmeal
Lunch:  Salad, Sandwiches, Chips
Dinner:  Salad, Fruit, Leftovers

Friday 4/21
Breakfast:  Frittata and Fruit
Lunch:  Salad, Sandwiches, Chips
Dinner:  Salad and Baked Fish & Chips - I forgot to pull the fish out of the freezer and we still had lots of leftovers to eat, so we'll try this a different time.

Saturday 4/22
Breakfast:  Fruit, Panakes
Lunch:  Salad and Caramelized Onion Flatbread - This was pretty tasty!  I used Pilsbury Thin Crust and a tub of storebought pesto.  I think it would be better with a homemade pizza dough.  It also wouldn't be bad if you added a little rotisserie chicken to add some protein.  Still, pretty tasty and I'll probably make it again.  Oh, I also caramelized my onions WAY longer than the recipe said to.  I like my caramelized onions and lot darker and softer.
Dinner:  Fruit and Leftovers

Sunday 4/23
Breakfast:  Fruit, Yogurt, Pancakes
Lunch:  Sandwiches and Fruit
Dinner:  Easter Dinner 2.0 at Caitlin and Kyle's

Well, there ya have it!  I hope you like these recipes as much as we did, if you try them!

Keep giggling!
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment