Saturday, March 30, 2013

An Egg-stra Special Treat! :)

Oh my goodness!  Thanks to Culinary Concoctions by Peabody (who just happens to be a fellow Western Washingtonian!), and courtesty of Pinterest, I have found the most amazing ice cream recipe!  Ever!

Cadbury Creme Egg Ice Cream!

Yep.  You read that right.  Cadbury Creme Egg Ice Cream!  Can I get an amen?!

You have to try this stuff!  It's Easter candy based, so you kind of have to make it now.  I totally understand though if you're done with the stores for today, but go Monday and buy some discount Cadbury Creme Eggs and then plan this baby into your life! :)

I made this today.  It's in the freezer right now setting up (or "ripening" as the ice cream maker manual says...weird...).  I can't wait until Brent gets home from work tonight so we can scoop some up and snuggle on the couch!  Of course, I did have to test it before I put it in the freezer.  I mean, what kind of cook would I be if I just tossed it in there, right?  Let me tell you, even in runny soft serve form, this stuff is amazing!  It is probably the smoothest ice cream I have ever tasted, especially as far as home-made ice creams go.  I really hope that carries through to the finished product!

Just a heads up, you will need an ice cream maker for this recipe. :)

So, with out further gushing from me, here's the recipe! :)

Cadbury Creme Egg Ice Cream
From Culinary Concoctions by Peabody

3 1/2 Cups Heavy Cream
1/4 Cup Cocoa (I used Dutch Process, but I'm sure just plain old Hershey's would work too)
3/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
Pinch of Salt
2 Tbsp Corn Syrup
1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp Corn Starch
4 oz. Milk Chocolate, chopped or broken up (preferably Cadbury Dairy Milk to keep all the chocolate in the same family - you should be able to find it in the candy aisle)
8 oz. Mini Cadbury Creme Eggs (they come in the little 12 pack, clear egg cartons.  You need two packs), unwrapped, chopped, and divided..  (They chop better if you freeze them first.)
1 tsp Pure Vanilla

1. Combine 2 cups of the cream, cocoa, sugar, salt and corn syrup in a non reactive saucepan over medium heat.  Whisk together until smooth.
2. In a small bowl whisk corn starch and 1/4 cup of cream to make a slurry.  Set aside.
3. Add milk chocolate and 4 oz of the Cadbury eggs to your saucepan.  Whisk until smooth (if you froze or refrigerated your Cadbury eggs it may take a bit for the fondant to melt.).  Remove from heat.
4. Add the remaining cream, corn starch mixture and vanilla, whisking to combine.
5. Make an ice bath in a large bowl and set the pot or bowl with your ice cream mixture over it, stirring frequently to cool.  Add more ice when needed and keep stirring until it's chilled (about 30 minutes).  You could also put the mixture in the fridge for a few hours to chill it, but I didn't want to wait that long. :)
6. Once the mixture is chilled through, pour it in your ice cream maker and process it following the manufacture's instructions. (we have a cuisinart and it recommends 20-30 minutes for processing before freezing).
7. Pack the ice cream into an air-tight container and sprinkle with the remaining 4 oz of chopped Cadbury eggs.  Cover and freeze for at least 4 hours.

Enjoy!
Chilling over the ice bath
Starting to thicken up in the ice cream maker!
Headed to the freezer!
The waiting is the hardest part!

No comments:

Post a Comment